Monday, December 5, 2011

1.

Growing up, I was never surrounded by opulence.

I was born to teenage parents. My father left before my 3rd birthday, and popped in and out of my life intermittently (hence the attraction to older men - an inherent sense of stability), leaving my mother to work and me to be raised by my grandparents.


This is not an unconventional family system for my culture, both fortunately and unfortunately, as I'm sure many Hispanics can attest to. However disadvantaged my youth may seem, however, I must admit, I had an exceptional childhood.

My grandparents stressed hard work and education above all. My grandfather had worked for a cement company until he retired, and was very frugal with his spending. He amassed an impressive sum over the course of his career and didn't leave my family hurting by any stretch of the imagination.

My grandparents also instilled a very strong educational work ethic in me. They read to me every time I asked and every chance I got, igniting within me a desire to learn which will never be satisfied. That desire brought me here.

All around us are ads and marketing and labels and success stories and Cinderella stories and big pictures. I don't want to experience things secondhand. I want to see and feel and touch and taste and write. More than anything, I want to be able to write about what I've seen and done. I don't want to simply observe. I want to experience.

I want to live, not just comfortably, but richly. Not material things like purses and shoes. I want something less tangible and more memorable. I can't put "Owns 6 pair of Louboutins" on a resume, nor would I ever want to, but something like "Has traveled extensively; adept at cultural immersion" - now that would move some units.

Higher learning is expensive, and because I opted to go against what and where my family wanted me to attend university, I am paying for it all myself. Working full-time and going to school full-time is not for the faint of heart.

This is where it gets interesting: in order to alleviate some of my burden, I turned to a Sugar Daddy website.
Two, in fact.


One had mixed results (of which I will recount, in later posts of course!) and now a new one, one I am hoping will bring me less pretenders. I now have the beautiful gift of experience riding shotgun, so who knows where this will take me?

(Spoiler alert: hopefully grad school!)

No comments:

Post a Comment